Sunday, December 7, 2008

A Shawl and a Bear Oh MY!

Print Friendly and PDF
After going through quite the blues jag over the past week, it finally hit me yesterday. If I can't send knitting to my family, then I'll knit for someone nearby. I know exactly who could really use a knitted shawl so that's what I'm doing.

This elderly lady is turning 80 soon and is a tiny bird of a woman. She's very active and still lives in her own apartment across the hall from us. We try and help when we can but she is fiercely independent. She worries about everyone and I have a feeling not many worry about her. Since our building is rather old (over 100 years old) it's quite drafty and cold at times. Heated by an ancient boiler that wheezes and coughs and bangs throughout the winter, the heat output varies from none to too much but usually never quite enough to keep her warm.

I was reading a thread on Ravelry about patterns to knit with one skein of yarn and the Fabulous Filigree scarf was suggested. This scarf can be found in the book One Skein Wonders on page 185. As soon as I saw the picture of this shoulder scarf I knew this would be for her and she would love it.

After several false starts and an epiphany, this is how far I've knitted in the past couple of hours. Once the pattern is started and you don't stress over it like I did LOL it's quite simple and lovely to knit.


I'm using Bernat's 100 % acrylic yarn since she is badly allergic to wool. I know she loves yellow and I was lucky enough to have a full skein of it in a lovely shade of pale yellow which will fit well with her clothing. (came out very yellow in the picture) Since it's acrylic, she won't have to worry about any special washing or having to stretch it back out, etc once it's been washed. Your basic wash n wear! What more can you ask for. The pattern called for Dale of Norway 100% wool yarn which would have to be doubled but since I'm using thicker yarn, no doubling for me! Yeah!

I also knitted this little guy yesterday. I used the Koala Bear pattern from The Knitted Toy Box. I love her patterns. They are always so darn cute!

Gambit was gracious enough to allow me to have the little bear pose with him to give you an idea of how small he is. I've added a string so he can hang in the Christmas tree. I may add some holly around his neck. Not sure exactly how to finish him. I may also knit him a tiny scarf! That would look nice.





No comments: