So many ways to explain what a friend is but I still think Aristotle had it right on the git go.
Aristotle's definition: A true friend is one soul in two bodies.
And in this case I struck gold! I am truly blessed.
Up until I read this quote, I always struggled with the definition of friend. So many people interpret the word friend in so many ways.
My definition of a friend has always been someone who:- answers the phone whatever the time may be and is prepared to listen.
- will laugh and cry with you.
- will always believe in you, even when you don't believe in yourself.
- will always bring out the best in you.
- will always be honest, even if it hurts.
- will not need an explanation as he/she will always understand.
- is willing to share their time with you.
- accepts you as you are.
- is willing to reach out to you, instead of you always having to do the reaching out.
- will not judge you.
I like how Wikipedia defines friend.
Soulmate: the name given to someone who is considered the ultimate, true, and eternal half of the other's soul, in which the two are now and forever meant to be together.
Spiritual friendship: the Buddhist ideal of kalyana-mitra, that is a relationship between friends with a common interest, though one person may have more knowledge and experience than the other. The relationship is the responsibility of both friends and both bring something to it.
Some would say many more things quantify friendship, but I still say Aristotle had it right.