I've been rather busy these past weeks creating and developing patterns. This morning I'm checking out blogs and someone made a post about what inspires her. I started thinking about it and discovered that it's rather a difficult question to answer.... at least for me it is.
I've always worked with textiles in one form or another over the years. And as a norm, what gets the old brain brewing and stewing is a need. Much like the idiom, "Necessity is the Mother of Invention". For me the Necessity has always been replaced by Desperation. When I can't find something I really need, my brain produces an answer to the problem.
This is why I initially taught myself
- crochet: I needed a shawl
- machine sewing: I needed clothing
- knitting: (had to relearn) my premature son needed a hat
- hand stitching: I didn't have a sewing machine
- embroidery: I wanted to give my grandmother a handkerchief with blue birds on it
- painting: I wanted to express what I saw and felt in colors
- pattern making: I needed a cocoon for my premature son
Today I can use any and all of the above skills I developed at a time when I was desperately seeking an answer to whatever problem presented itself.
I've also found over the years that I also require a certain level of urgency or stress to get the brain stewing and brewing. If those 2 ingredients are lacking, nothing I attempt to create works.
As for the creativity, I try different ways of viewing what I need an answer to from different angles. A different viewpoint, not necessarily of a different point of view.
What inspires you to create?