Friday, December 5, 2008

Christmas on TV

Print Friendly and PDF
Last night we watched one of my favorite Christmas season stories.

Frosty the Snowman! When my daughter was little, this was her favorite seasonal show to watch. She would get so excited when Frosty came to life and would cry when he melted away. The biggest reason she loved it so much was that she and the main character share the same name. When she was 4 and she realised the little girl in the movie had the same name, she thought the show was about her. It took quite some convincing to get her to understand that no, it wasn't about her.
For weeks later, she'd see a train and would want to know if Frosty was aboard heading for the North Pole. Even now, she's all grown up, but I'm sure she still enjoys the show :)

Other seasonal shows that I've always loved, Dr Seuss, How the Grinch Stole Christmas. My favorite part was the people of Whoville who came out and sang even though everything was gone. That, is the true spirit of Christmas :)

Another that I enjoy watching year after year is A Charlie Brown Christmas. I enjoyed reading the comic strips by Charles Schultz over the years and the animated special did not disappoint. I do my best to watch it every year but sometimes I haven't had any luck finding it or have missed it.

A new seasonal show that has joined my favorites is The Polar Express. An odd but rather endearing movie with the voice of Tom Hanks as the Conductor, Hero Boy, the Hobo, Scrooge and Hero Boy's Dad. Quite the repertoire for one person, but he does it very well.


It reminds us all we should believe in the spirit of Christmas, what it should mean and not what commercialization has made of it.

And I previously posted about A Christmas Story which is still very much at the top of my favorites list for some much needed belly laughs.

No comments: