Monday, February 16, 2009

Shawl Woes

Print Friendly and PDF
I was really excited when I joined a yahoo group to knit a gorgeous shawl based on the American Beauty rose but have met up with a pretty massive roadblock. I did the swatch beautifully, but what's killing me is the set up at the beginning of the shawl with 3 needles. My hands won't let me perform the acrobatics with such thin yarn and small needles so I'll have to rethink how I'm going to knit the shawl. What should have looked absolutely lovely came out looking like this.

I also won't be knitting the shawl mentioned in this post for my girlfriend since for some reason I can't figure out the setup at the beginning of that pattern. I'm going to take it as a sign that it's not that shawl for her. I've already got some ideas rolling around in my head that would use slightly larger needles and slightly thicker yarn as well, involving angel wings. But I'm going to leave it at that for now, or at least until I've figured out this wisp of an idea nagging at me.

With my hands having issues holding smaller knitting needles this weekend was spent knitting nothing more interesting than washcloths. I'm on the 3rd one now, very simple knit, nothing to really think about but it keeps my fingers busy while my brain stews over ideas for a shawl for my girlfriend.

My sister sent me a lovely Valentine's card along with a picture of my niece in it. The last time I saw my niece she was 4, she's now 14. You do the math. It's been a long time since I've been able to visit my family. Lack of funds and a vehicle have been the 2 major stumbling blocks keeping me away from a visit.

No comments: